Do you or someone close to you experience difficulties chewing or swallowing ?
Have you lost interest in eating because you’re afraid of choking ?
How to recognize dysphagia
Do you think you might suffer from dysphagia ?
Are you concerned about the nutritional health of a family member or friend ?
While the following symptoms are not necessarily a sign of dysphagia, if you answer YES to one or more of the following questions, talk to a health professional. Here are some of the signs that could indicate dysphagia :
- Have you lost weight unintentionally ?
- Are you unable to eat the foods you used to eat ?
- Are you no longer able to eat raw vegetables, steak… ?
- Do you often cough while eating ?
Dysphagia is a serious and frequent problem that can be caused by :
- Partial paralysis (CVA, stroke)
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis or ALS
- Dental problems